Saturday 30 October 2010

Heroic Mum

Dad is getting a lot of attention these days. He has always been a person happy in his own company, gardening, golfing or reading the paper, so i think is a bit overwhelmed by it all. He had breakfast in bed this morning, then I trimmed his toenails (how, when your body is battling cancer, do they still grow?) and my brother and i shaved Dad while he was sitting in bed. I helped him to the shower and to get dressed. He took a very long time to eat lunch and because he is so slow to do things we are all tempted to say encouraging things. I think we must be careful not to overdo it though as he gets irritated. He snapped at Mum earlier and it broke my heart to see it made her tearful. She is doing everything for Dad these days and trying to cope with how she feels about it all at the same time. I have a few days at work each week, but she has no escape from this. Dad is not ungrateful. He knows we are all trying to help. It is the disease's affect on his brain which makes him speak his mind more than he would normally (one of his brain metastases is in the frontal lobe of his brain, the area responsible for your personality) Mum is intelligent. She knows this but is struggling to not feel emotional in the face of Dad's snappiness. A friend told me that she doesn't know how i cope with Dad's situation. I don't know how Mum does.

No comments:

Post a Comment